Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tiger Woods Apology: Authentic and Touching.



Is it just us or do celebrities always get caught mere moments before realizing the error of their ways and seeking help? Tiger Woods held a press conference on Friday to discuss his extramarital affairs for the first time since he was caught.
Guess what? He’s really sorry for his actions. He is sorry to the people who look to him as an example and an icon. He is sorry to the PGA and his colleagues. He is sorry to his family. He is sorry to his wife’s family. He is just really, terribly sorry.

Hmmm…

Why not speak the truth? Why doesn’t he just say what everyone already knows? It would be so much more sincere and refreshing if Tiger sauntered up to the podium and simply said, “Look. I’ve been a celebrity since I was in diapers. I’m a billionaire who plays golf all day. I’m the most iconic figure of my generation. I’m sort of black.”

“Beautiful women throw themselves at me all day every day and I could only resist so much. The fact is, I’ve had all sorts of crazy sex, stuff most of you don’t even know is invented yet. Put yourself in my shoes and tell me you wouldn’t give in.”

“As for my career, of course I am going to keep playing golf. Let’s face it; golf needs me more than I need golf. I’m sorry to my family for getting caught and making this such a public spectacle. Thank you all for coming. ”

Honesty would have seemed more heartfelt. Instead he said all the things we knew he would say. Instead we had to hear about how he is a “sex addict” and is seeking help. Americans are quick to forgive our fallen celebrities, but we’re not stupid. You can’t just make up a condition and hope it flies as an apology.

Now, thanks to Tiger, we have a growing epidemic sweeping across the nation. According to a recent survey, 10 out of every 10 men in America admit to having a sex addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment